Within the Family Stream, Parent applications are given a lower processing priority than other family members such as partners and children. There are currently two categories of parent visa.
The Parent Visa is available to a person who is not old enough to be granted an old age pension.
The conditions that apply:
- The applicant must be the working age parent of an Australian citizen, Settled (2 years in Australia as PR holder)Australian permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand resident
- The applicant must be outside Australia when the visa is applied for
- The applicant must pass the “balance of family test” – at least half the applicant’s children must live in Australia, or there must be more children in Australia than in any other single country
- The applicant must be sponsored and there must be an Assurance of Support in place
Aged Parent Visa
- Very similar to the Parent Visa, although this visa category is available to a person who is old enough to be granted an Australian Age Pension.
- You may apply for this visa inside our outside Australia.
NOTE- A ‘normal’ parent visa means that the application goes into a queue, this queue may take up to 15 years
Contributory Parent visa is the further option to bypass the waiting period.
There are four such parent visa subclasses: –
- For parents residing out Australia: –
- Contributory Parent (Migrant) visa; and
- Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa.
- For parents residing in Australia: –
- Contributory Aged Parent (Residence) visa; and
- Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) visa.
The processing time and the charges are completely different in this category, please contact us for further information.